Bucky Zimmerman, one of two founding partners of Zimmerman Reed, is a nationally recognized leader in complex and class action litigation. He frequently speaks at industry conferences as well as CLE’s. During more than 30 years of practice, Bucky has successfully represented thousands of clients through individual actions and nation-wide class actions in significant and demanding cases involving the tobacco industry, defective drug cases, and shareholder suits. He currently serves on the Lead Counsel Committee for the Stryker Hip Litigation, was appointed to the Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee in the NFL Players’ Concussion Injury Litigation, and is Lead Counsel representing banks in the Target Data Breach case. He has also served as Co-Lead Plaintiffs’ Counsel in the Baycol, Guidant, Levaquin, Medtronic, Zicam, NFL Retired Players Publicity Rights, and National Arbitration Forum MDLs.
In addition to his case work, Bucky continues to lecture and periodically teach courses on complex litigation and working with the media in high profile cases for a variety of organizations including the Minnesota State Bar Association, Minnesota Continuing Legal Education, the University of Minnesota School of Law, William Mitchell College of Law, the Minnesota Trial Lawyers Association (MTLA) and Mealy’s Publications. In 2006 Bucky authored “Pharmaceutical and Medical Device Litigation,” a mass tort manual published by Thompson/West.
Through his solid leadership and abilities as a litigator and negotiator, Bucky continues to serve and advance the interests of the firm’s clients and the legal profession. He was recognized as a “Super Lawyer” from 2000 – 2007, 2011-2017. He was also selected as the 2013 Minneapolis Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions – Plaintiffs Lawyer of the Year by The Best Lawyers in America. Since 2007, Bucky has been selected by his peers for inclusion in the Best Lawyers in America in practice area of Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions.
Bucky is licensed to practice law in the States of Minnesota and Arizona, and is admitted to the United States District Court for the District of Minnesota, District of Colorado, District of North Dakota, and the United States Supreme Court. He is also admitted to the Third, Fifth, Sixth, and Eighth United States Circuit Courts of Appeals.
Presentations and/or Publications
- “Current Issues in Pharmaceutical Litigation and Policy,” American Bar Association Seminar, New York, NY
- “The Future of Class Action Litigation in America ,” American Bar Association Seminar, Boston , MA
- American Association of Justice (AAJ)
- Minnesota Association of Justice (MAJ)
- Federal Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Bar Association of the Fifth and Eighth Federal District Court
In The News
- CBS News, “Supreme Court Rejects Former Players’ Challenge to $1 Billion NFL Concussion Settlement” (December 12, 2016)
- CNN, “Target settles for $39 million over data breach” (December 2, 2015)
- Law360, “Target Pays $39M To Settle Card Issuers’ Data Breach Claims” (December 2, 2015)
- Law360, “Lessons From Key Players In Guidant MDL” (September 30, 2015)
- Credit Union Times, “Target Suit: What’s Next for Credit Unions” (September 16, 2015)
- Law360, “Banks Win Class Cert. In Target Data Breach MDL” (September 15, 2015)
- Star Tribune, “ Paul judge certifies class-action status to banks in Target breach suit” (September 15, 2015)
- Reuters, “U.S. judge certifies class action over Target Corp data breach” (September 15, 2015)
- Star Tribune, “With Adrian Peterson suspension, NFL signals a tougher stand” (November 18, 2014)
- Star Tribune, “$1.4 billion settlement announced in artificial hip litigation” (December 14, 20
- Law360, “Stryker To Pay $1B To Settle Hip Implant MDL Claims” (November 3, 2014)
- CBS, “Billion dollar settlement over faulty hip implants” (November 4, 2014)
- Huffington Post, “NFL to pay $42M to retired players to settle case for using their identities in promotions” (March 18, 2013)
- Best Lawyers “Lawyer of the Year,” Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions – Plaintiffs, 2013
- Best Lawyers in America in practice area of Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions; 2007-2016
- Super Lawyer 2000-2007, 2011-2017
- J.D., University of Minnesota School of Law
- B.A., History & Political Science, University of Minnesota