Hart Robinovitch is a partner with Zimmerman Reed, working in the firm’s Scottsdale, Arizona office. Hart focuses his practice in the areas of consumer and shareholder actions, and sports law.
Ongoing litigation highlights
- Represents corn farmers and DDGS exporters in the Syngenta Viptera Litigation who have experienced the effects of China’s ban of U.S. corn and corn-derived products, suffering lower prices, decreased sales and other losses as the prices of U.S. corn has decreased
- Member of the lead counsel team representing retired NHL players alleging the National Hockey League minimized the chronic cumulative effects of concussion risks from its players for decades
- Represents clients in a class action lawsuit on behalf of RV owners alleging that Norcold knew of a potentially dangerous RV refrigerator fire risk, but hid that information from the public
Hart has been involved in numerous state and federal court lawsuits around the country challenging the misclassification of entertainers as independent contractors opposed to employees in the nightclub industry. He also represented consumers in other actions alleging deceptive and unlawful business conduct towards customers including, but not limited to, false advertising practices, “bait and switch” tactics, altering contractual terms without valid consideration, and retailers’ requests and/or requirements that their customers provide personal identification information when they complete a transaction using their credit card, in violation of state and/or federal statutes. In addition, Hart represented residents of various skilled nursing facilities alleging pervasive and intentional failure to provide sufficient direct nursing care staffing resulting in harm to the residents.
For the past decade, Hart has represented clients in a series of class action lawsuits contesting mortgage lenders’ excessive billing and deposits practices for mortgage escrow accounts. Hart is now involved in numerous federal court lawsuits around the country alleging that mortgage banks and lenders have violated federal and state laws. These cases allege payment of kickbacks and/or illegal and unearned referral fees by the banks and lenders to mortgage brokers who refer mortgage clients who are then charged inflated interest rates on the mortgages. In addition, he represents consumers in other actions contesting the imposition of overcharges and improper fees or other contractual violations in various mortgage transactions. He has worked with co-counsel in state and federal courts across the country.
A native of Canada, Hart earned his degree from the University of Toronto Law School in 1992 where he served as an Associate Editor on the University of Toronto Faculty of Law Review. He received his Bachelor of Science degree in 1989 from the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
Hart is admitted to practice before, and is a member in good standing of, the Bars of the States of Arizona and Minnesota and the United States District Court for the Districts of Arizona, Minnesota, and the Eastern District of Michigan. Hart is also licensed to practice law before the United States Courts of Appeals for the Sixth, Eighth, Ninth, and Eleventh Circuits, and the United States Supreme Court. Hart’s memberships include the National Association of Consumer Advocates and Canadian American Bar Association.
Presentations and/or Publications
- NACA/NCLA Conference “Mortgage Fees/Post-Closing Profiteering”
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Arizona State Bar Association
- National Association of Consumer Advocates
In The News
- Law360, “Bayer Offers $400M To Settle Dicamba Suits With Farmers“
- Law360, “Bayer, BASF Hit With $265M Verdict In First Dicamba Trial“
- Wall Street Journal, “Bayer, BASF Ordered to Pay $265 Million in Weedkiller Crop-Damage Suit“
- New York Law Journal, “Bout Over Boxing Class Actions Begins“
- Bloomberg, “Nature’s Cancer Sticks: American Spirits Long, Strange Trip to Court“
- Law360, “Judge OKs $36M Deal For Bad RV Fridges, Denying Objectors“
- Law360, “Fans Defend MDL Over Pacquiao, Mayweather Fight“
- Law360, “Zimmerman Reed Atty Named Lead Counsel In Pacquiao MDL”
- Betadvisor, “Fight of the Century? More Like Fraud of the Century, Fans Say”
- Law360, “8th Circ. Revives Suit Over ConAgra’s Kosher Labeling”
- NBC, “Strippers Win $13 Million Settlement in Wage Dispute”
- MNN, “Hebrew National hot dogs in hot water”
- J.D., University of Toronto Law School
- B.S., University of Wisconsin-Madison